Lot 304 , Lewis Nockalls Cottingham (1787-1847). A a set of four Gothic gilt bronze candle branches, c.1832, approx 39cm
Lewis Nockalls Cottingham (1787-1847). A a set of four Gothic gilt bronze candle branches, c.1832, made for the Chapel of Magdalen College, Oxford, the fluted hexagonal arms supporting nozzle cups cast with Tudor roses, leaf and berry and fleur de lys, each stamped 'Summers', probably for W. Summers, listed as a coppersmith and brazier at Herbert's Place, Waterloo Road in 1835, approx 39cm
Provenance: L.N. Cottingham was a British architect who pioneered the study of Medieval Gothic architecture. He won a competition to remodel the interior of the Chapel of Magdalen College, Oxford; work started in July 1829 and lasted at least six years. See Gothic Rampant: Design by L.N. Cottingham for Snelston Hall, Victoria & Albert album no.3 1984, fig. 16 for an example.
Descriptions provided in both printed and on-line catalogue formats do not include condition reports. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging. Interested bidders are strongly encouraged to request a condition report on any lots upon which they intend to bid, prior to placing a bid. All transactions are governed by Gorringes Conditions of Sale.
Sold for £600