Lot 293 , A Reformed Gothic oak dining chair, designed by Edward Welby Pugin, c.1864,
A Reformed Gothic oak dining chair, designed by Edward Welby Pugin, c.1864, with revealed pegs to the mortice and tenon joints on the chamfered X-frame supports and stretchers, brass ball feet to the front, upholstered in green velvet with brass boss fixings
Provenance: See Victoria & Albert Museum inventory no. W.1-1991 for an identical chair. This chair is identical to a set of chairs designed by Edward Welby Pugin for the Grange, his family home, in Ramsgate in about 1864. The Grange was designed and built 1843-4 by his father, the architect, A.W.N. Pugin. E.W. Pugin also designed the building and furniture of The Granville Hall Hotel in Ramsgate, with the overall furnishing supervised by Messrs J D Davidson & Co. Ramsgate, which opened in December 1869.
Small dents, knocks, chips and scuffs commensurate with age, cresting rail is a little faded to the front and there are a number of small old ink? stains scattered throughout but overall solid chair of good rich original tone, green velvet upholstery now a little tired
width 1ft 8in height 2ft 9in
Descriptions provided in both printed and on-line catalogue formats do not include condition reports. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging. Interested bidders are strongly encouraged to request a condition report on any lots upon which they intend to bid, prior to placing a bid. All transactions are governed by Gorringes Conditions of Sale.
Sold for £1,400